We’ve been watching the bald eagles and their nest in Decorah, IA. It’s great science. 🙂 So far this year they have 2 eggs. Last night it snowed in Decorah.
Today I saw a picture that got me thinking. If you look closely, you’ll see a bald eagle’s head sticking out of the snow just left of the center of the picture toward the top of the nest. As I read information on the eagles and saw how God has created them to withstand the elements, I saw a great spiritual analogy.
Unaffected. Mama Eagle teaches me
- Focus on God’s Purpose for me is key to being Unaffected by tough times. Mama Eagle’s purpose is to protect those eggs. She stuck with it through a snow storm last night!
- Just because it isn’t pleasant doesn’t mean I change course or loose focus. Mama Eagle didn’t panic because of a snow storm and try to come up with an alternate plan to stop the snow. God gave her what she needed to withstand the snow, so she stuck with the God’s plan. His is best, anyway!
- Perseverance pays off. I just have to wait (not my favorite thing to do!)
- Circumstances don’t change my Purpose and Calling. She’s still Mama Eagle. She’ll sit on those eggs and care for those babies through any weather until they’re ready to fly.
- Circumstances don’t change the Truth of God’s Word. Matthew 7:24-25 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.” What stability that brings!
- When I’m Unaffected I show my trust in God. Mama Eagle didn’t get in a tiz (like I would have!). She calmly waited out the storm and weathered it just fine.
This is a great visual reminder of Matthew 14:22-31. When Peter focused on Jesus, Peter was Unaffected. When Peter focused on circumstances, he sank!
My goal is to be Unaffected this week.
My biggest challenge will be not letting my boys’ behavior affect mine!
How about you?