Isn’t that the ultimate challenge?!
It’s one I often find myself taking the bait for!!
Today I was talking with the boys about Jesus’ temptation in Matthew 4. It hit me that Satan started most of those temptations, ultimately, with that challenge. Prove it! “If you are… then…”
Interestingly, Satan came at Jesus in the only way Satan could – through the physical system and values of the world, because he is the prince of this world. It’s the only system by which he can operate.
- He challenged Jesus’ identity – You’re not worth anything. Prove who you are by what you do
- He challenged Jesus’ physical needs. – Your physical desire for food outweighs obedience to God
- He challenged Jesus with the lure of worldly success – You need the approval of men and lots of “stuff” here on earth, because that’s reality
- That focus enabled Him to be secure in who He was.
- That focus enabled Him to deny the physical because He was already tuned into the spiritual.
- That focus enabled Him to realize the eternal value of the spiritual life when compared to the temporal physical life.
- That focus enabled Him to be secure enough to let God answer for Him.
That’s my desire!
I want to be so focused on God, so secure in Him,
that no matter what happens,
it doesn’t faze me.
I don’t have to Prove it,
I just have to LIVE IT!
How about you? Got anything you feel you have to prove? I’d love to hear from you! 🙂
Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!